The Caledonian Tower is a land mark in North London which is surrounded by parkland.
It was built in 1855 as the centre piece for the new Metropolitan Cattle Market which replaced that at Smithfields.
Detail of works by Stone Restoration Services
The stonework externally required attention and internally works were required to make it suitable for visitors to the Tower.
The complete restoration of the tower and the building of a new visitors Heritage Centre was undertaken with a £2 million grant from the Lottery Fund.
The works undertaken by SRS included the following:
- Cleaning of the Portland stone with the DOFF High Temperature Steam System.
- Cutting out and replacement of defective Portland stone.
- Repair of fractures and in-situ restoration works.
- Raking out and repointing of defective joints.
- Repair of the ground floor stucco render and repainting.
- Internal brickwork repairs.
- The supply and installation of Jura Cream cladding on a Generix system to the Heritage Centre.